Saturday, October 19, 2013

Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies!

I have to say that sugar cookies are my favorite. You can do anything with a sugar cookie. They are great for the imagination and the child inside us all. With my sugar cookies I made dresses and shoes. That's right.... dresses and shoes. I spent all day making them, but I had a blast. The recipe I used is gluten-free, and gives a recipe for making your own gluten-free flour mixture, but I used an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix that has all the same things it in. With this recipe you may be able to make 42 cookies with the dough, but I made my cookies a little thicker and made about 34. So, I can't really give an exact estimate on how many cookies this recipe makes, but at least somewhere between 30 and 40. One of my favorite things about sugar cookies is how festive they can be. From Valentines Day to Christmas! From hearts to trees! It's almost magical. You may be wondering why I choose to make dresses and shoes. Well, my great aunt gave them to me some time ago, and today I thought I would use them. Not to mention I made them for some people coming over the next day. The only thing left to say is have fun creating.                                                        
                                                                                                             






Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies! 

Overall time in Kitchen: 2 and a-half hours. 
Oven: 350
Bake: 8-12 Minutes
Makes: Between 30 and 40 cookies

Ingredient

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 egg yolks
1 1\2 tsp vanilla 
2 1\4 cups gluten-free flour mix below or any all purpose gluten-free flour mixes from stores 
1\4 tsp salt

Gluten Free Flour Blend: To make flour blend, combine 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.

Directions

1. Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Add flour blend and salt; beat at low speed until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.

2. Heat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough on surface sprinkled lightly with gluten-free flour, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with any cookie cutter you want. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 2 minutes on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack. Cool completely. Frost or sprinkle. 


Frosting for sugar cookies, (optional)

Ingredients

1 pound powder sugar
2 tablespoons marshmallow cream
Add milk to make consistency like sour cream

Directions

Beat powder sugar and marshmallow cream together and add milk slowly until it is sour cream like.  

Oh, one of the great things about this frosting, other than it tasting good, is that once it dries it becomes nice and hard for being able to stack cookies on top of each other, but not too hard for eating. :D 

And as I always love to say.... Enjoy!
                         


























No comments:

Post a Comment