Sunday, November 11, 2012

Peach Pie with Lattice Crust

    My second test subject for my pie journey was peach pie. Peach pie is not a pie you see often in stores. You mostly hear about peach cobbler or some kind of peaches n' cream candy. No one knows why peach pie is not as common as say apple, or strawberry-rhubarb. My journey, though, will be covering all pies.

   The first thing about this pie that I will note is that I did use frozen peaches. I would have preferred fresh, but only for the reason that I like fresh foods better than frozen. The second thing to note is that instead of using the crust recipe that my cookbook calls for, I used my mom's recipe which she got from her midwife friend. I have come to find that this recipe is very good, and I have decided to use it for all of my pies. I will post the recipe for it with any other pie recipes I post in the future. One thing about this pie crust you must know is that it is enough for a double crust pie, a pie with a lattice crust, or two pies with no crusts on top. It works out well and is very simple.

   A lattice design is a very delicate procedure, but it is well worth it when the pie is done and ready to serve. A lattice design is probably, so far, one of my favorite crusts for a pie. It is just so pretty. I have two tips for this pie. Tip #1: Sprinkle a little flour on the dough, rolling pin or surface to help roll it out. I have found that to be helpful. Tip #2: Roll out your dough on parchment paper. This will help with the dough not sticking to the surface on which you rolled out the dough..

   Now all I have to say is. Lets get cooking....




Peach Pie with Lattice Crust.

Never Fail Pie Crust
3 cups flour
1 1\2 cups butter
1 teaspoon salt

1 egg
6 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon vinegar

Directions
Combine first three ingredients. Beat next three ingredients, and pour
into flour mixture. Mix well.

For a Lattice Top
Half of your pastry dough.

Directions
1: Roll out your pastry dough to size of pie pan, and cut into strips. Lay 7 pastry strips on top of the filling 1 inch apart.
2: Fold alternate pastry strips back halfway. Place a pastry strip in the center of the pie across the strips already in place.
3: Unfold the folded strips; fold back the other alternate strips. Place another pastry strip across the first set of strips parallel to the strip in the center. Repeat the weaving steps until lattice covers the filling. (One side is done at a time. Also it possible you may have some strips left. One tip I do have about this is to crimp the edges of the pie crust together to make a nice finished look to your pie.)

Recipe for Peach Pie
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Bake: 55 minutes
Oven: 375 F
Serves: 8

1\2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
1\4 teaspoon cinnamon
1\4 teaspoon nutmeg
6 cups thinly slice, peeled peaches or frozen peach slices
(Recipe for pie crust above)

1. For filling, in a large bowl stir together sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add peaches. Gently toss until coated. Let mixture stand for 20 minutes or 45 if using frozen peaches.

2. Meanwhile prepare dough. Line a 9 inch pie plate with half of dough.

3. Stir mixture. Transfer peach mixture to pastry lined pie plate. Keep the edges of the bottom pie crust long so that you can crimp the edges around the lattice strips. (Lay the lattice strips on filling as directed above)

4. To prevent edges from over browning, cove edges with foil. Bake in a 375 oven for 25 minutes (or 50 minutes for frozen fruit). Remove foil, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until pastry is gold and the filing is starting to bubble.

5. Cool pie on a wire rack.

As I love to say..... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment